Thursday, June 17, 2010

Stooopid mistake

I've been trying to get an internship at The Dougy Center. I contacted the director of communications with a simple, yet sophisticated e-mail asking for an opportunity to be an intern. She responded with enthusiasm, asking me, "what types of things are you interested in doing?" It took me a while to respond back, because I've never had to come up with my own job description before. Anyway, I wrote what I thought to be a really nice, professional e-mail. That is...until I sent it and caught the DUMBEST mistake EVER. See if you can find it.

Hi Kassie.

I've been thinking long and hard about the types of things I'm interested in doing. If I were to acquire an intern position at The Dougy Center I could help with or be responsible for anything regarding communications. I would be willing and happy to do anything asked of me.

My specialty is writing. I'm an talented writer and can write/edit any content in grant proposal letters, website pages, newsletters, fliers, and any other written documents. Right now I free lance write and edit for a newsletter in Farmington, Utah put out by a small company called Blue Pebble Press. I've also worked on my college's newspaper staff. I'd be happy to send you a portfolio displaying my abilities.

Although I don't know every aspect of The Dougy Center's communication department and tactics, I do know of some possible areas. I'm experienced in video making. I know how to use Final Cut in creating and editing video. I also know how to create podcasts and am very familiar with blogging. I'm experienced in many computer programs including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, which are all beneficial for ads and fliers. I enjoy talking with and learning about people and would be more than willing to contact individuals or companies, either in person or over the phone, in order to give information about The Dougy Center or seek possible grants and support for the organization.

I would absolutely love the opportunity to intern at The Dougy Center. The Dougy Center played an essential role in my grieving process after my dad passed away. I don't know where I would be today if I hadn't had such a great support group as a child. I would love to give back by offering my abilities through an intern position, while also learning from and observing the inner workings of such a successful non-profit organization.

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Crystal Perry

Yes; it's blatantly obvious. Let me explain. I had intended on saying, "I'm an excellent writer...." "Excellent" is the adjective I had originally used, so "an" would be appropriate. After proof reading it a couple times I decided to change "excellent" to "talented." I forgot, however, to change "an" to "a." STOOOOPID. (Okay, I know it's spelled s-t-u-p-i-d. I'm quoting "The Kid." :)) Anyway...I FREAKED out, trying to recall my e-mail, but it didn't work. I decided to e-mail again, telling her I was aware of the mistake. I figured I had nothing to lose and only respect to gain by admitting my error. My mom helped me come to that conclusion as well.

So, long story short...well, not really short, but whatever... She responded with this:

Hi Crystal,

No worries on your type-o. :-)

Will you be in the Portland area anytime soon? I'll talk to the development staff and see what projects they'll have coming up in the fall. Are there school requirements we'd need to fulfill?

Thanks!!

So, I'm a happy camper. :)

4 comments:

The Dalton's said...

I didn't even notice it! Shows how untalented of a writer/editor I am :) Good luck!!

Dacia Andersen said...

Sounds like great news! Hope all goes well and you get the internship. I'm sure you would do great.

Tyler said...

They would be stooopid not to take you as an intern. Hope it works out for you!

Sundy said...

I love how molehills can turn to mountains in our minds. I do this on probably on a minute by minute basis.

Chant with me now, "Doug-y, Doug-y, Doug-y"1

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates