I hate it. I absolutely hate it. With a passion. I'm not exaggerating.
I am not a good studier. I don't know how to do it on my own. I get distracted. I can't keep the information in my brain. I try to repeat things back to myself; it just doesn't work. I try writing things out. It still doesn't work. The only time I actually do well on a test is when I study with someone. Usually this process consists of a good friend having enough patience to re-teach me the concepts and then quizzing me on them.
I'm in an intro to advertising class. I swear, this stupid intro class is harder than all my 300 and 400 level classes. There's a test every week. This week we have two. The first test I took I got a D on. Yes, a D. I hardly studied. The second test I got a B only because a good friend who is also in the class took the time to re-teach me the material and quiz me. The third test I actually got an A, go figure. Same procedure as the second one. The fourth one I had to study on my own because Naomi and I couldn't find time to study together. C. What the heck? I even tried hard that time. I'm taking another one today, and again Naomi and I couldn't get our schedules to match up. Good luck to me...not likely I'll do better than a C and I don't have the patience to even study as long as I did last time.
I hate studying. Stupid facts tests...multiple choice tests that you cram the info in your brain long enough to spew it out in 15 minutes in the stupid testing center, and then you forget it all the second you walk out. I really prefer projects, hands on REAL LIFE situations, papers, and presentations. I learn SO MUCH MORE.
When I'm a professor I'm putting my foot down on tests. I'm saying no. And if I have to give them...they're going to be comprehensive, and I'll actually take time to write them, and then I'll go over them with the students and figure out what they've struggled with and allow them to get some credit back when they figure it out. Isn't school about learning? I think teachers should help students learn. I don't care that this is college. Learning is supposed to be taking place. I'm not learning in this class. I will be a professor one day, and I will teach my students. They will learn, and they'll enjoy it. It's possible. I've seen it in action.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ditto. I'm taking a chemistry class this semester and let me tell you. THAT was a dumb idea. I studying for a few hours straight today and I'm pretty sure my brain was actually swelling from working too hard... Hope it gets better for you. :D
Post a Comment