Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Friendship

Can friends last forever?

Honestly. Can they? Really and truly, can friendships remain forever strong through thick and thin? How long do you have to be friends with a person before it's such a strong bond that you know it will last forever? Does the friendship have to go through a lot of history before it can be strong? Or does time have nothing to do with it...it's more the information shared and trust given?

I have so many good friends. Yet, I have so many who are no longer in my life...and I just wonder...what makes someone a life-long friend? Or, a forever friend? What are friends for? Why have friends?

Enlighten me people.

5 comments:

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler said...

I appreciate your post, Crystal. It made me ponder my own friendships and why they last or fade out. Here is what I thought, from a couple of perspectives:

The second law of thermodynamics states that all things naturally gravitate to a state of disorder. Monuments crumble, living things die and decay, pianos go out of tune, gardens are taken over by weeds and pests. The only way to counteract this is with a continual outside force: piano tuning, building repairs, garden weeding. I believe it is the same way with friendship. Forever friends continue to be friends because of mutual effort; without that effort the friendship inevitably falls into entropy.

A forever friendship may also be compared to an eternal marriage. The sealing ordinance does not guarantee being together forever; rather, the ultimate blessings come because of mutual sustained effort. And the key is mutual: it takes the continual effort of both parties to make it work. In the same vein, no one event can cement a friendship forever. It takes constancy.

I'll be honest: I haven't mastered this. Outside my family, I can think of very few friendships that have survived moves and life changes. I do however, believe that friendships can and do last forever and that those that have "entropied" can be regained in the future. Relationships are, after all, one of the few things we can take with us after this life.

Eva Padilla said...

This is a mystery I want to know the answer to. You've got me thinking.

Brandi said...

Crystal, I have had some troubling thoughts on this matter myself. I have recently been told by one of my best friends that we are no longer friends anymore. We both got married, moved to different states, and then life got really busy. I realize I had missed out on some opportunities to talk to to her and meet with her. I never realized how much those meant to her and because of it I lost a friendship. Even thought this hurt me deeply, I tried hard to mend the friendship. To no avail I still lost, but I will always regard her as one of my best friends. If she ever needs me I will always be there to welcome her back.
Just Like Tyler said you can parallel these friendships with the gospel. I think of our Heavenly Father. He is our Father and our best friend. We have to work for that relationship. Sometimes we loose our way, but he never leaves us. He is always waiting with open arms and all we have to do is knock.
It's in our nature to want to be loved and excepted. Unfortunately we live in a imperfect world where people will come and go. That's why mom always told me "friends will come and go, but your family will always be there for you". As I have gotten older I realize her meaning, but those friends will always be friends in my heart.

Neil and Courtney Anne said...

Oh, previous posters have been very philosophical. Here's my take: of course friendships can last forever, but it depends a lot on what your expectations of friendship are. Some of my longest, best friendships are with people who understand that even if we don't live in the same place, and may not even talk once a year, we still value one another and are still "friends". It's great when we've ended up back in the same place, and we've been able to pick up where we left off. It's always nice to be able to spend time with someone who has such low expectations of you but understands you so well, from the perspective of years of friendship.

That being said, I personally don't think it's reasonable to expect to be able to stay in close contact with all the important people in our lives all the time, so we owe it to those friends and to ourselves to cut each other a little slack. Y'know?

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates