Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thoughts

*I'm only down 1 1/2 lbs from 4 weeks ago. Booo

*I should have been keeping track of my measurements this whole time, because I know I've lost inches.

*Does the fact that my dad died from a brain tumor, but I've never been inclined to get heavily involved in "Cure for Cancer" type things trouble anyone? It troubles me sometimes. You see so many people who have lost loved ones to diseases, and they immediately jump on the awareness and find-a-cure bandwagon. I guess I feel like sometimes things are just supposed to happen, and it was my dad's time. I'm not mad at God, and I'm not mad at cancer. Maybe it's my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. Who knows. But I do think awareness and cures are good.

*Social Work, journalism, social work, journalism. I'm going forward with the journalism school, but looking at my options in social work. Who knows...

*My niece, Perry, is adorable.

*I want to have a big get-together for my birthday this year...ON my actual birthday (Dec. 26th). But instead of a party and gifts, I want everyone to bring sack-lunch fixings, and then we'll all make lunches and give them to homeless people in downtown Portland. I REALLY want to do this. I think it would be soooooo much fun. So much. So so much. Then we can come back and have cake and ice cream. Except I don't really like cake. So, I'll think of something. I hope people will want to come to that. I'm doing it.

*Homeless stats: Families make up over 50% of the homeless population.13 % of those leave their homes because of violence or abuse. It's estimated that between 23% and 40% of homeless single adults are veterans. Within 2 to 4 years of exiting the foster care system, 25% of those foster care youth experience homelessness. About 20% to 25% of homeless single adults have a chronic mental illness.

*Homeless people have been on my mind A LOT lately. I feel for them.

4 comments:

Ryan and Hetz said...

That would bre fun to do for your birthday! What a fun idea!

Miss Crystal said...

Seriously! If I lived closer, I would make the trek to participate in your birthday festivities. I hope it pans out and goes well. :)

Jenn said...

That sounds like an awesome birthday party!

Teacherheart said...

Please do it! You are so, very very, amazing! I'm just gonna say it... I think your dad wants you to care about the homeless.

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates