Friday, March 18, 2011

I have this friend...

I'm 99.9% sure this friend doesn't read my blog. So, I'm going to write about her.

Why am I writing about her? Because, I haven't written a blog post in a while. I spent some time with this friend the other day...and the deep gratitude I have for her has been pressing on my heart ever since. So, I want to express it somewhere.

This friend is older than I am. Quite a bit. Well, not like anciently older than I, but a good number. She's 15 years older. Or...14? Anyway...somewhere around there.

This friend is one of my best. Here's why:

*Length of friendship: We've been friends for the past 14 or 15 years. That's a long time.

*She listens to me. Doesn't always try to offer advice...but will if needed or called for.

*She's not a "when it's convenient" friend. She's an "always" friend. We can talk every week, or we can go months without talking. It doesn't matter. We're always friends.

*When I met her, I was 12 years old. I thought she could walk on water. I became somewhat obsessed...or...infatuated with her. She was my touchable hero, as aposed to Amy Grant, my untouchable hero. During this time, it was apparent to everyone around me that I probably had unhealthy expectations of her...alot of my "happiness" rested in her hands. I made it that way. She knew this, yet, she still remained my friend, set healthy boundaries, and loved me anyway. When she'd cancel on me, I'd freak out, get really disappointed because my "hero" had turned out to be flawed...but still, she stuck by me...rode out my disappointment and always made it up to me. I've since mellowed out...no longer infatuated, but just very appreciative.

*She's the type of friend who enhances my life...and I enhance her life. She doesn't expect anything from me...like, if I didn't call her for a year, she wouldn't be upset with me...if I forgot her birthday she wouldn't love me any less. But, while she doesn't expect these things from me, she does enjoy these things, and when I do these things, it enhances her life. It's the same way when the situation is reversed. It wasn't always that way...I used to expect a lot from her back in my younger years. But as I've gotten older, I've learned a bit more and expanded my ability to understand people's different circumstances...spouce, kids, work, life...it's all hard to juggle. So, while she may not call me as often as my younger heart disired...or send me a card on my birthday, it's okay, because when it comes right down to it, she is always constant, ALWAYS there.

*She doesn't want or need to know my secrets when I don't want to share them...but she wants to know and listen when I'm ready to share and tell.

*She sees the real me. The good me, underneath it all. So, whatever crap I tell her about myself, it doesn't matter. Because I know she can see what God sees...or pretty darn close.

I have many amazing friends. But, like I said, my friendship with her has been on my heart lately. I'm so glad for good friendships. This life is hard enough to have to go it alone.

No comments:

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates