Saturday, October 9, 2010

Adding some heat to the fire

This is my blog. I'm going to say what I feel.

President Boyd K. Packer's talk---controversial. Understandably so. I will admit right here and right now that I did not whole heartedly agree with every statement I heard, or thought I heard, coming out of his mouth. For instance, in his original address given on Sunday he states, "Some suppose that they were pre- set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural. Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember, he is our Father.”

As I heard this my ears perked up, and I immediately asked the people I was with, "Did he just say that God would never allow us to be born with same gender attraction tendencies?" The people I was with agreed that this is what he said and intended.

I made a note in my journal, "Ponder and ask God if what President Packer is saying is true." And then I continued listening to the rest of conference.

I know individuals, on a personal level, who deal with different same-gender issues. What I thought I heard disturbed me, because I could understand how people, with these struggles and trials, would hurt to hear that what they've been feeling, possibly their whole lives, would never be something they were born with because God wouldn't do that to them. There are many people who have struggled with these feelings their whole lives, but they choose not to act upon their feelings. Hearing "You're not born with it, God is our Father and wouldn't do that to us," would be hard to hear...especially for people who've struggled with this for as long as they can remember.

Okay, so, I pondered and prayed. And I came to terms with what he said on my own level. Then, yesterday, I heard that Pres. Packer changed some of his talk in the printed format.

The new version changes a few things. "Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn temptations toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Remember, God is our Heavenly Father." He excluded the line "Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?"

You can listen to the original talk here and follow along by reading the updated version here.

The brethren are allowed to look over and alter anything that may have deterred from the intended meaning or message of the talk. See this article. Pres. Boyd K. Packer simply changed a few things in order to emphasise what he truly intended.

This is what I believe he truly intended, after praying, pondering, and now reading the altered wording. What I thought I heard was wrong. This is what I hear now, even in the original version. "Some suppose that they were pre- set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural. Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember, he is our Father.” Heavenly Father would never make it impossible for us to overcome any weakness or tendency that will lead us into sin. Having these tendencies is not the sin. Giving into and acting upon the temptation is. "Overcome," to me, simply means to not give in. We can't always pray our weaknesses and tendencies away. If someone is an alcoholic, he/she will always be an alcoholic. That will never go away. But, with the help of God, an alcoholic can overcome the temptation to partake of the alcohol, and can live an alcohol free life. This goes for any weakness or tendency, mental or physical. We can't always pray them away, but we can pray for the power to overcome the temptation.

I know that Pres. Boyd K. Packer is a man of God. I know he speaks truth. I also know that it is okay to question authority, as long as I do it humbly and sincerely. Nephi didn't just follow his father blindly. He sought the inspiration and guidance from the Lord, wanting to know for himself that his father's words were true. And the Lord confirmed to Nephi that what his father said was true. (Go here to read the actual account, specifically verse 16.) I believe this is what we all must do. Questioning is not what is bad. Pride is. I'm thankful for prayer. I'm thankful for the scriptures. I'm thankful for the prophet and apostles, for the priesthood, for the restoration of the fullness of Jesus Christ's gospel. I know what I know, and my witness is true. :)

These are my thoughts and beliefs. You're welcome to share your thoughts and beliefs with me. I'm open to anything. :)

3 comments:

Miss Crystal said...

I didn't hear the talk for myself, but I know that my psychotic family has been having a field day with this talk. Most of my family is completely inactive and very boisterous (I get my b-wordy'ness from them... :D) and want nothing to beat the church down, especially after what happened with Proposition 8 (in California). I still have yet to hear what the talk said for myself but I'm glad to hear your side of how you felt. I really appreciate that you have the balls (excuse my French!) to say how you felt and how you went about finding out what was meant during this talk. Kudos to you girl!

Miss Crystal said...

**THEY want nothing MORE to beat the church down.

:D

Ryan and Hetz said...

Wow! That was very well explained.

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates