Saturday, March 30, 2013

Things I've refrained from posting on Facebook

I have a bitter-sweet relationship with Facebook. Part of me loves it...is obsessed with it and its amazing ability to keep people connected. The other part of me hates it, because it sucks you in and gives you a false sense of popularity, companionship, security and attention. When 20 people "like" your status, that just means that 20 people like your status. 20 people can passively, lazily say "Hey...I'm giving you attention, just to let you know I find amusement in what you wrote." It doesn't mean those same 20 people would have thought highly enough of you to actually call you up and say "I really appreciate what you said. Let's talk more about your thoughts." Probably 2 out of the 20 people would actually do that.

So, I've tried...TRIED to limit my posting on Facebook this week. Because I'm just tired of always thinking what I have to say needs to be heard by my facebook gang. But don't get me wrong, I've thought of plenty of things to post throughout the week. And I've even started to write them out to post, and then I've deleted them.

I'm not trying to belittle Facebook or other people who post frequently. And there's nothing wrong with posting something and enjoying the "likes" you receive on a post. Seriously, this is a battle within myself. A battle I fight both in the Internet world and in the real world. When should I stop talking? When is what I'm saying important...not important? Why do I think what I have to say is so special? Why do I feel the need to get so much attention? Why do I want people to think I'm funny? These are questions I ask myself a lot. And sometimes, I just need to stay silent...FORCE myself to stay silent, just to take a break from myself. You know?

With all that said, I need an outlet for all the things I would have posted on facebook this week. Since I have far less readers on this blog than I do in the land of Facebook, I thought it would be a good outlet.

1) I've been known to eat a whole apple on occasion...core and all. Gross? I think not. Just takin' after the cavemen. Try it. What makes the core any different from the rest of the apple? It all tastes the same.
                  Brilliant, I know. That would have gotten a total of...1 like.

2) I'm not going to say where I stand on gay marriage...basically because I just don't want to get into it with anyone. But what I will say is this: I'm tired of ignorant and insensitive people comparing gay marriage to a person wanting to marry their pet or an inhuman object. I hear it constantly..."Next thing you know, people will want to marry their dog." Really? Seriously...really?!? Come on, people! No matter where you stand on this issue, that is just downright insensitive. Two consenting adults who deeply love each other and want to get married is the same thing as a man or woman wanting to marry a dog, cow, chicken or shoe??? That just baffles me beyond belief. I will never understand that comparison, and I refuse to accept it. Let's have a little more respect for each other. You don't have to agree with gay marriage...but we can at least show some consideration of people's feelings.

                 I'm curious to know how ripped apart I would have gotten for that one....

3) Another week has come and gone. And I ask myself, what did I do this week to make a difference? Nothing. I did, however get out of bed and continue to put one foot in front of the other. Why? Because I have faith...faith that God has a plan for me. I'm thankful for Easter weekend, to remind me why I keep pushing forward in faith. Why I live, love, and care. Because Christ lives, loves and cares. Because He cares, I care. I live to share His love. So that's what I'll do. I know Jesus Christ lives. That he has felt our pain, sorrow, loneliness, heart-ache and experienced our mistakes weaknesses and wrong-doings. He's there to lift us up. He conquered physical death, so we can all reunite with each other in the flesh when this life is through. I'm thankful for the plan God created, and I'm thankful the Savior was willing to make that plan possible. I know they both live.
              
                   That one was super long-winded and kind of jumped all over the place. But the overall message came from my heart.

4) The sun is shining, it's warm outside, I just climbed the hill by my house 5 times to get my heart pumping, my roommate just bought baby chicks (free-range eggs, baby!) and I bought tickets for an acoustic Sara Bareilles concert in May! Gooooood Friday!

                    I actually did post this one, and then took it down two minutes later. Again, I say...I have an internal battle about why I feel the need to consistently let everyone know what's on my mind.

I'm sure there were more...in fact, I'm pretty positive there were more brewing in my head, but these are all the ones I actually wrote out, and then deleted. Maybe we can chalk it up to me just being a writer? Wanting to be heard? Not having a companion to talk to? I don't know...but it's worth thinking about.

Thanks for listening. ;)

As a Post Script--after I posted this, I nearly deleted it. Because, once again...why? Why did I post it? But...whatever. It's a blog, and I write. So I'm leaving it. Ah...to be human.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I agree with you on the apple cores! I can't say I eat the stem or that fuzzy part on the bottom, but I'm totally fine eating the seeds and the rest of the middle.

I do the same thing with my posts. I write them out and then decide that no one really cares so why I do I bother? But people do care about what you have to say! At least, I do! :)

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates