Hey friends.
Me again. The author of this blog.
I've decided to make an announcement. I have yet to announce it on Facebook. The blog will be my first place of self-disclosure...for this particular piece of life news...on the Internet.
I bought a plane ticket, I'm packin' up my bags...and I'm saying goodbye to D.C.
I really don't feel like going into a long explanation about this...so I'll try to keep this brief.
So...moral of the story is, I don't like it here. I don't really like the Georgetown program. I never have liked investigative reporting...and I was taking a major wild shot in the dark thinking this program would be different from all other journalism programs in the world.
I don't like living in D.C. And I don't like how expensive it is. I don't like the competitive atmosphere and I don't like the corporate world.
Let's be honest. I don't want to be a journalist. I never did. Not the hard-core investigative type, anyway. I've felt uneasy ever since moving here...anxious...unsettled. I know I was supposed to come out here...but I wasn't supposed to stay out here. I believe I pursued this path in order help me figure out what I really wanted and to confirm things in my heart and mind.
So...do I have a plan? Yes.
I applied to a film/video production certificate program at University of Washington in Seattle. I was accepted. It's a 9-month program, and it starts in October.
I'd love to have my own business one day...creating history documentaries of people's deceased loved ones. I think people would pay for that service. Maybe I'm kidding myself. BUT, I don't think so. Plus, video production skills are highly beneficial in any communication job, and it would up my chances of getting a job with any company...any news company, any big name corporation like Microsoft or Disney...I want this skill.
I may pursue a Master's at UW in a year too...not sure about that yet. But it would be in digital communications...which would also be highly beneficial. And it's $20,000 cheaper than Georgetown.
And...I love the Northwest. I'll be within a half hour of my sister, and three hours from my parents and step-sibs. I love the lifestyle and weather and scenery.
So, I'm throwing in the towel on D.C. and Georgetown...and I couldn't. Be. Happier.
Friday, July 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good luck with everything. I don't think I would like living there either.
Post a Comment