Friday, March 23, 2012

Do It Now

I'm feeling very inspired at the moment.

Recently, I came to the conclusion that I've wasted a lot of my time daydreaming about things I want to do in the future. In reality, much of that "daydreaming time" could have gone toward actually executing those dreams. My problem seems to lie in wanting the END result or best possible outcome in the very beginning. That vision overwhelms me, and I give up on the idea before I even begin.

Not any longer, my friends! My new motto is, you've gotta make your own destiny! Pave your own path! Create your own fun!

And so it begins.

As you know from my recent "Dad" post, I've started creating a montage/documentary about my dad. That's just ONE of the MANY projects bouncing around the walls of my brain in the past couple of years. It's unfolding nicely, and I'm very passionate about it. Fears that held me back include "I don't have the proper equipment" or "How would I get in touch with everyone who knew my dad?" or "I'm not familiar enough with video editing..." and so on and so forth. Guess what! I bought some equipment...not the best, but it does the trick. I'll get in touch with who I can get in touch with and that's that. I don't need to know EVERYTHING about video editing to start video editing. If I'm passionate enough, I'll learn. My point is, I'll never DO anything if I'm constantly fretting about the end result.

Creating and producing my own podcast is another idea that keeps running wildly through my thoughts. I'm obsessed with podcasts. It's funny, because prior to a year ago I didn't know much about them. I learned about podcasting in my Multi Media Video Journalism class at BYU-Idaho. We were given an assignment to create and produce our own podcast...and I honestly didn't know what I was doing. I created one, and fulfilled the assignment requirements, but I didn't really get it. I decided the theme would be "Making Fun of Singles Wards" or something along those lines. Each episode was 2 minutes, and I made fun of some silly aspect of the singles ward life. After the assignment was over, I stopped the podcast, because I didn't understand the concept.

Now...I understand it! :) I really owe my thanks to Tyler and Sundy Anderson, who turned me onto "This American Life." That show turned me onto a million other shows...and just podcasting in general. Now I'm subscribed to so many, it's hard to keep up with them all. And they're not all as professional as TAL. Some of them are pretty low-key, but the topics are super fun to follow.

Anywho, I'm starting my own. The theme is going to be communication, and I invite you all to subscribe. :) I won't be the only voice you hear. A friend and past BYU-I class-mate is going to co-host it with me--he's getting his Master's in Professional Communication right now; I'll soon be getting my Master's in Journalism (a major branch of communication). We'll focus each episode on an example of a problem caused by miscommunication/lack of communication. We'll pick it apart and show where the communication went wrong...how to fix it, and how to prevent it from happening in the future. Our examples will come from personal life experiences, media, movies, television...whatever. The goal is to make it light-hearted and funny...but also make it helpful. I'm really REALLY excited about this project. I'll announce where you can subscribe when it's all ready to go. :)

So, my friends...life is for the living! I'm done worrying. I'm done daydreaming. I'm just going to do it now. Who cares if I can't/don't/won't make money off of it? Who cares if it's not the best quality? Who cares if I'm not a professional? The Internet is a beautiful thing that allows us to create whatever our heart is passionate about and "publish" those passions without jumping through a million hoops, needing to sign with a label, picked up by a publisher...yada yada yada. I was born to create. So I'm going to do it now. Let's live, everybody!

Oh, and listen to this song. It will inspire you to do it now, too. :)

No comments:

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates