Bust a button on my pants...because they were getting so tight, that is. Ba-dum-ching. (Drum sound after stupid joke)
So, I did the 30-day paleo challenge.
What is paleo, you may ask. Let me tell you.
And I quote, from Robb Wolf's blog, writer of The Paleo Solution,
"•Lean proteins that support strong muscles, healthy bones and optimal immune function. Protein also makes you feel satisfied between meals.
•Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that have been shown to decrease the likelihood of developing a number of degenerative diseases including cancer, diabetes and neurological decline.
•Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, fish oil and grass-fed meat. Scientific research and epidemiological studies show that diets rich in Monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats dramatically reduce the instances of obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and cognitive decline."
Here's the deal. My sister and bro-in-law have been preaching paleo for quite a while now. "It's amazing," they'd say. "It's the only way," I'd hear. "Paleo isn't just about weight loss...it's about living healthy, avoiding disease, feeling good in your skin." Yeah yeah yeah... It wasn't that I didn't believe what they were saying, it's just that I didn't care.
Well, I listen to podcasts these days. LOTS and LOTS of podcasts. And I started listening to health podcasts. Lots of research and evidence points to paleo as a smart, good way of eating. Most kids with any form of autism are directed to the paleo style of eating...while doctors may not refer to it as paleo, it's the same style (cut out gluten and dairy.) Many obese people with severe diabetes are also directed toward the same eating habits (low carb and processed sugars...high veggies and meat). As I listened to these podcasts and heard all of the great effects...weight loss, clear skin, less mood swings, better sleep, less stomach issues...I decided it was about time I tried it.
The 30-day challenge: to live the paleo lifestyle as strictly as possible, for 30 days and see how you feel at the end of it.
Yesterday was my 30th day. I feel great. I've lost about about 10 pounds, sleep better, and feel cleaner. By cleaner...well...I just feel lighter and cleaner and a bit more energetic. I'm sure as I continue, I'll see even more results.
I've heard many arguments against paleo. Especially from Latter-day Saints. I am a Latter-day Saint. Here's the argument. "Wheat is in the Word of Wisdom. Paleo excludes wheat. I cannot condone a lifestyle that goes against the Word of Wisdom" To this I have several things to say. Which is why I've decided to start a different blog. My paleo blog. I'm going to call it "The Mormon Paleo" and it's going to track my progress, and my opinion on the lastest health news...along with my explanations of how paleo does fit into the Word of Wisdom.
I respect people's views and opinions. I don't think everyone has to live a paleo lifestyle to be healthy or lose weight. I'm not obsessed with it, and I don't look down on people who choose different eating habits or ways of pursuing healthy bodies. I just know that I've tested the 30-day challenge, and I feel wonderful. So, if you're curious to know my views on the latest health issues...or my journey on trying to make paleo an everyday lifestyle change and not just a diet craze...or how paleo isn't breaking the Word of Wisdom...please stay tuned. I'll be announcing the new address shortly. :)
Thursday, September 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment