Sunday, July 10, 2011

Heavy heart

My heart is heavy at the moment.

Reason: Judgement and ridicule from limited minded people...and the impact those judgements can have on people's lives, faith and testimony.

Why, when we hear something "different" or that doesn't meet OUR approval about someone, we automatically start jumping to conclusions, want to talk about it...and spread our opinions, thoughts, and misunderstandings to any ear that wants to hear? Gossip. Slander. Rumors. Misinterpreted or misrepresented facts. I'm struggling with all of this.

I'm not exempting myself from this. I gossip with the rest of them. My natural man likes to jump in and talk, question, express my opinion about the lives of others. But today...it has become overwhelmingly unbearable for me.

Christ still has compassion on those who make, what we deem as, unforgivable mistakes and has compassion for the families and friends of those who make such mistakes. My heart aches for such people and families right now. So much so that I could not stop crying throughout Sacrament meeting today in church.

I wish, sooo very much, that the natural man could overcome judgement. I wish I could overcome judgement. It is so harsh and cruel. We can never know what goes on in another person's mind and heart. We can never understand the reasoning behind people's choices, actions, thoughts and feelings, because we are not that person. Only Christ and God know exactly what that person is feeling and thinking. Only They have the responsibility, maturity, and perfected hearts and minds to make those judgements.

Righteous judgement, as we often justify our act of judging with, does not include gossip, scornful looks and behind-the-back ridicule.

I'm tired. I'm tired of the natural man. I'm tired of my natural man. I'm tired of the constant battle I have with my worldly desires and nature. And I'm deeply saddened by the thought that my worldly mistakes, such as judgement and gossip, could cause others to question their testimonies and lead them down a wrong path. I know that people have a choice. They can choose to stay active in church regardless of rumors, gossip, or offense. They can choose to keep their testimonies strong. But it's extremely difficult. And I still have an obligation and duty to live in a way that will only help people stay strong in their testimonies...not make them question their testimonies.

I want to be more Christ-like. I want to lead people to Him. I hope and pray that I can continue to line my life with His Gospel. It's not just about the big things. It's easy for many of us to not kill, not commit adultery, not steal...to even not harm our bodies with substance abuse. Sometimes it's more about the small things. I hope to overcome the "small" things.

2 comments:

Ryan and Hetz said...

Oh my gosh. I had such a big eye opener this weekend on judging others. I was helping at a fundraiser and was helping in the garage sale section. This girl that looked totally haggard and almost homeless asked me to hold her bag of stuff she had to picked out to buy because she lost her $20 that she was going to give me and give the extra to the fundraiser to help little Faye and wanted to go look in the parking lot for it....I totally judged her and said, Ya right is this lady serious and she wouldn't just give extra money! (I know, I am heartless for thinking this) She came back and said she couldn't find the money and she was so sad because she was excited to donate the extra money. I told her she could just have the bag and I would trust that she had lost the money. She walked off and I was thinking she was lying and just wanted free stuff.....Someone came up and said they found $20 on the ground. How amazing. That sweet lady was telling the truth! I felt awful for judging her and really opened eyes to never judge.

The Ulrich Family said...

This is good Crystal. You're making me think about how much I gossip and I never really look at how bad it is and how I shouldn't be doing it. It's one of those things that's so hard to not do, people just don't want to try and and stop. But I'm going to make a BIG effort to not talk about others. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates