Hi. My name is Crystal Perry and I'm 25 and single. Yes. True statement. So, apparently that makes me a non-traditional student at BYU-Idaho. Yep...another true statement. Let me explain...
Last semester, toward the end of it, I received an e-mail inviting me to a party/group called "the non-traditional single students" at BYU-I. This group is a special group for single students who are 25 years or older. I was mortified that they had sent ME the e-mail, since at the time I was 24 and not looking forward to my 25th birthday.
Well, my 25th birthday did come, and I survived it. Ironically enough I celebrated the grand day with a queasy stomach and a few unpleasant trips to the bathroom. For some strange reason the number 25 has freaked me out for a while now. Probably because it's the age my mom got married (actually...not even...she was ALMOST 25 when she married my dad.) She's always said that 25 is a good age to get married, and now that I'm here it's kind of freaking me out.
Anyway. Here I am...25 and single. This is the year. The year I am 25. So, I received another e-mail from the group newly named "The Vikings," formerly known as the "non-traditional single students." I guess they wanted to get away from the whole "non" thing. Um...yeah? Ya think? That name depressed me.
So, I decided, why not? I'll go to the party. Another 25-year-old friend was supposed to go with me...but bailed on me at the last minute. So, my dear roommate, Brenna, who happens to be 22, pretended to be 25 and came along. Guess what...I liked it! I met some cool people, participated in good conversation, and sparked a few friendships. I'm even going to write an article in the Scroll about what it's like to be 25 or older in this wonderful town of of Rexburg, full of 18 to 21-year old married girls. Good times. I'm becoming one with the 25. We're learning how to get along. Soon, I think we'll be good friends.
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Thanks for the optimistic point of view. My 25 is right around the corner and I'm dreading it.
What the heck is up with BYU-Idaho giving a title to that kind of ish.. I just don't understand. Perhaps I'm non-traditional too because I have brown skin and like to swear sometimes... Whatever! I still have a testimony. Get over it!
I have a guy friend out there who is 25. I'm just sayin... Want his number? :D
And I TOTALLY feel you on turning 25. My mom had 2.5 kids when she was 25... So, 26 is up! Woo. lol.
Crystal. Oh my funniness. This was a funny post. I loved it. You are funny. And for the record you are NOT OLDDDDDDDDD. Holy hanna you have 5 more years till 30! that is a long time and you are still in your smokin 20's!
Edna, you crack me up! I had a really hard time with 25, but I think when I turn 26 it's even going to be worse because it's getting closer to 30!
I love the part about the 18-22 year old married girls. That's enough to make me want to drive out to Rexburg and give medals to all the 23+ year old girls who are strong enough to be single and still go to the I.
Well done!
Post a Comment