Monday, October 5, 2009

Expectations sometimes lead to disappointment

Everyone's writing about how wonderful the Mission reunion was. I can't lie and say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think what I will do is put the pros and cons of this latest mission reunion.

Pros-
*I got to see Rita (Tanja Jensen Dalton.)
*I got to see Barb (Heather Love Jones.)
The top two are big pluses because I don't get to see these ladies very often and they were two of my faves.
*I got to see sisters I never served with, but knew either through exchanges or the grapevine...such as Crystal Miller, Jenn Allred, and I got to meet the famous Aubrie Gibbons Zeh.
*I had the opportunity to hang with the "younger" group, Joy Wiechmann, Ashlee Draper, Karen Brucker, and Alysha Mortensen.
*I was able to see President and Sister Fuhriman.
*I got a new outfit out of it...an outfit I feel very hot in. :)

Cons-
*I thought it would be like returning to the mission...it definitely was FAR from the mission feeling.
*I had just seen President and Sister Fuhriman, and it didn't feel all that special to see them a month later.
*President and Sister Fuhriman didn't make any kind of comment or announcement...not to rag on them, I was just looking forward to hearing from them.
*It reminded me how single I am.
*I had a big let down when realizing that a certain immature individual purposely did not come because I was there.
*Realizing some friendships are never the same after the mission.
*Feeling divided between the older crowd (my first few comps) and the younger crowd (my last few comps.) This division could possibly be my own fault...but I felt it anyway.

The reality of it is this: the mission is over. Nothing will ever bring it back. No mission reunion, no hang out session with past comps, not even visiting the the mission will re-capture the experiences and feelings I had while serving the Lord for 18 months in Mississippi and Louisiana. Time to move on and upward. Well, I'm doing that, but this just re-affirmed it for me.

3 comments:

Miss Crystal said...

Those pretty much are my same pros and cons. I wasn't all that impressed either. But it was great seeing you!!

Ryan and Hetz said...

Oh Edna, these are true. I feel the same way too about being stuck between the younger crowd and the older crowd...I missed seeing the older crowd who went to Blake's reunion. Let's plan the sleepover...want to help in the planning?

The Dalton's said...

Sounds like we all had similar experiences. I've been telling everyone the best part of the reunion was seeing the sisters. The reunion wasn't what I was expecting but seeing you was a DEFINITE plus (and you did look SUPER hott!!).

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates