Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Deep dark secrets

We all have deep dark secrets we would never want anyone to know...right? Tell me I'm right. Please tell me I'm not the only one. Well, I've been asking my roommates and my co-workers the same question and they all tell me, "yes, we all have our deep dark secrets we'd never want anyone to know." Now, the deepness of the darkness could be subjective if others did know about these secrets...most of the time something we think is extremely dark might not be so dark to someone else. But the fact of the matter is, most of us have some secret...even if we do wear our heart on our sleeves.

Well, at what point do we feel the desire or ability to share these secrets with trusted, close friends? And is this healthy...or should we never share our secrets? Now, obviously if these secrets are things that are keeping us from the Spirit, we'd have to clear these up through the Atonement. Sometimes these secrets are, and sometimes they aren't on this level. But they're usually things that are affecting or have seriously affected the person. Secrets can range anywhere from an action, a feeling, a thought, a desire, a mistake, a belief...and possibly others I've never considered before. I've been the receiver of secrets in the past. People have confided in me things that have been hard, heartbreaking, and unbearable for them at times...things that they usually do not share with just anyone. And I've appreciated the chance to possibly take a bit of their burden and sadness...to cry with them, ache with them, and love them.

Well, like everyone, I have my own secrets. Don't worry, I'm not going to reveal them in the world of blogging for all to see. I have revealed them to a choice few in the past...for what reason, I'm not quite sure. Probably for some kind of reassurance, love and understanding from someone here in the flesh. Very recently I shared them with someone who I am becoming very close with. While she showed me sympathy, concern, and love, something in me is regretting my act of sharing. This person with whom I'm becoming close with is someone I haven't trusted my whole life. There's a LOT of baggage with this person and other peoples surrounding her but recently I have been able to overcome my mistrust and am really starting to love this individual, a TON. So, for whatever reason, I felt compelled to share with her my secrets. Probably because I felt as though she would understand, which it seems as though she did. But I'm still worried. I hope it doesn't backfire on me. I hate getting salt rubbed in my wounds.

So, if you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to share them with me. Even if your thoughts are, "I would never trust anyone with my secrets." What do you think? Is it healthy...or a stupid thing to do? I suppose I'll find out.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I absolutely think it's healthy. It's not only a way to relieve some of the burden of carrying something by yourself, but it's an opportunity to let someone in and to bond with another human being. I recently let in one of my friends on some things I was really struggling with, and I even cried in front of her (not something I ever do). At first, I didn't know if I should, but it's strengthened out friendship and it's made me feel good to get a part of that out of me. I think it's great to give people the opportunity to really see inside you. It can be scary, but in my opinion, it's a good thing.

Hailey said...

i agree with ash, it's totally healthy to share and it definitely eases the burden. what doesn't ease the burden is worrying about if you should have told someone or not. don't worry about that and if something were to happen due to your sharing then deal with it then. but worrying about it now doesn't let you feel the ease of the burden nor is it accomplishing anything. it's awesome to give someone your trust, I hope she respects you for doing that. love ya crystal keep on keepin on!

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates