Being a part of a blended family is hard. It really is. I'm sure being a part of a family that is not blended has its own ups and downs, challenges and heart breaks. And, if I'm blessed with the opportunity to marry, I'll know what those are one day with my future family. But, since the age of 11, I have been a part of a blended family, and this is what I know. Taking two individual families, with several different unique personalities, and pushing them together to create a new, law formed, family is quite the challenging experience. Feelings get hurt much easier, grudges are held much longer and misunderstandings are bent even farther out of shape than imaginable. Why? Because blood runs deep...but in a blended family, there is no blood. Last night, however, our family gathered together for the first of many monthly Family Home Evenings. And, as one of my nephews bowed his head and offered the opening prayer, tears began to form in my eyes. I love these brothers and sisters that I've acquired. I really do. What are families for? On my mission I came to the realization that this life is a time to prepare to meet God, our chance to make it back to Him. (I know it tells me that in the scriptures...but I'm slow, it took a mission to make it really sink in.):) And so...our job on earth is to do all we can to not only make it back to Him ourselves, but to help eachother there as well. And that, my friends, is what families are for. We have to help eachother make it back. So...what if we aren't blood? Who the heck cares? God sure doesn't, because we're ALL His children. And for whatever reason, He gave me the chance to build bonds and relationships with 6 more beautiful people, plus their spouses and children, who I get to claim as my family. Is it easy? Heck no, but nothing is. Where's the fun in easy?

Me, Crystal and Kayleen...yes, there are two Crystals in the family. :)

Kayleen and our nephew, Luke

Katy, Jesika and me

More of the fam at FHE: Crystal, Penny, Rachael, Jon, Ellie and Jesika-I LOVE the way they spell her name. SO cute. :)

Chuck and Mom leading us in "The wise man built his house upon the rock" or whatever it's called

Bobby, Kayleen and Kevin

Ben!
2 comments:
That sounds like the coolest family home evening ever!
wow, another crystal?? lol.
hey, that was a fun night wasn't it. i'm so happy that this is a new tradition of ours. it really has been quite difficult for me to stay as close to the fam as i did before b/c i'm an hour away now. doesn't sound like much, but when you add two little kids into to the mix, it is. looking forward to many more! xoxox!!
Post a Comment