Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hey, so...listen.

Hey. So, I have this roommate who starts every sentence with "Hey, so" or "Listen." Once in a while she'll start it with "Look." But "Hey" and "Listen" are her most common and favorite. I've started to pick up on the isms...as I often do with whomever I'm around a lot.

Can I just say, I really enjoy my roommates. And currently, at this present time, they're filling our house with delicious smells of things I probably can't eat. :)

I would like to testify of the power of service for just a moment. This is not a story of where I served someone and it was a magnificent experience. NO. This is a story of someone serving me.

Once upon a time, I didn't know *insert person's name here* very well. She had little quarks...and because I didn't know her very well...those quarks kind of bugged me sometimes. I had no desire to get to know her...or try to be friends. Then one day I sprained my ankle. And *said person* took care of me. Beyond the normal care one gives a stranger when she sprains her ankle. She propped pillows up. Took my sock off. Observed the swelling. Put ice on it. Went to the store to buy more ice. Bought me dried fruit as a treat since she knows I try to stay away from processed food. She cleaned my nasty scrapes on my knee (spraining my ankle just wasn't enough that night...had to scrape up my knee and put a hole in my brand new workout pants) and applied healing jell stuff to it. She went to my room and brought everything down to the couch that I needed/wanted...backpack, computer, phone, charger. She made me delicious soup. And then she put on a movie and watched it with me as I stuck my foot in a bucket of ice/water. It actually wasn't a bucket...it was a big pot. And she's the one who prepared it for me.

Due to this one night...this one event...and these many acts of service, I have since gotten to know *said person* and I absolutely love her. I do. She's a tender, caring, thoughtful, good person who's just trying to make it through this life in one piece. We're buds now. And I'm so thankful to have her in my life. And that is the power of service. Pure, heartfelt, Christ-like service. It softened heart and removed my stupid, horrible pride...and now I have an amazing friend.

The other thing I wanted to say in the post is this. I post way too often on facebook. I need to disconnect from the world more often. My anxiety has been hitting full force the past couple of days...and I really think it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm always plugged into the whole freaking world. So, I've decided to try leaving my phone at home when I go places...and ah. Sweet freedom. The anxiety has subsided...somewhat. I left it at home last night when I went to dinner with my roommates. And I left it at home today when I went to church, and I actually took my HARD BACK scriptures...the physical ones that you actually turn pages instead of scroll through a little screen. And it was bliss. No temptation to check facebook. No temptation to text. No temptation to tweet. No temptation to play tetris. Just me, the Savior, the Spirit, Heavenly Father, the people I was worshiping with and the good books of scripture. The Spirit didn't have to fight for my attention. Peace. I need to disconnect more often.

But...don't be surprised if I keep posting on facebook often. I can't help it. I like to be heard. I just do. Whatev.

No comments:

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates