Friday, January 2, 2009

Looking back...

The years of 2007 and 2008 were the two most meaningful years of my life. I began my mission in 2007 and ended it in 2008. I miss it and think about those 18 months every single day. The memories well up inside of me until they come out in the form of free flowing tears every so often. The year 2008 was a great one. It began in Hattiesburg, Mississippi with a game of MouseTrap. It ended in Portland, Oregon with a game of Setlers. I witnessed many miracles during the year 2008. I felt the power of forgiveness from someone I had deeply hurt for the first time in my life. I was brought to my knees many, many times in the dinky little bathroom of Meridian, Mississippi where I learned who I truly am and who my Maker truly is. I poored my heart out to many people...some accepting what the Savior has to offer, some not so much. During the year 2008 I witnessed Leah Polanco come unto Christ and complete her family. I witnessed Leann Walden soften her heart and decide to be re-baptized and to bring her 9-year-old son with her. I witnessed Maureen, a poor, broken individual, become rich and whole in the Gospel, where she found love and acceptance. I witnessed a 10-year-old Madelyn wanting to follow the example of her older cousin and be baptized, even though her whole family tempted her with tea and other choices to stop her...yet she overcame. In the year 2008 I was able to teach Frank Golden every single missionary lesson, watch him progress, only to see miss his baptism date, twice. In the year 2008 I also received a phone call...the 25th of December to be exact, informing me that Frank Golden had finally followed the promptings of the Spirit and chosen to be babptized that day, and he was. In the year 2008 I met a dear friend and kindred spirit, Amy McCormick. In the year 2008 I was able to see my family for the first time in 18 months. My cousin and best friend, Sundy Lynn and her husband, Tyler, moved to Oregon to bless me with their sweet spirits during my sad days of post-mission life. During the year 2008 I had the oportunity to work closely with Santa Clause...the man who brightens the lives of believers, also known as children. In 2008 I received the sweetest gift I've ever received in my life from a longtime friend, Lisa Wach. A professionally bound and lamenated book of all my mission e-mails, my call, letters from the President, and release letters and certificate along with several pictures. During 2008 I was able to bond tighter with my sister, Kayleen Nicole, over many happy hour meals, movies, and games. During 2008 I saw the most snow Portland has seen since 1968. During 2008 I began writing a boy...a boy I like and likes me...and he started writing me back. :) And now, 2008 is over. I can't wait for the wonderful opportunites 2009 will bring.

3 comments:

The Ulrich Family said...

awww crystal I love this one! It made me cry.

Diane said...

What a great blog post!! :)

Awesome pictures!

I TAG you! :)

Go to my blog for the rules :)

heehee :)

Ryan and Hetz said...

You are such a doll. That is such a cute book that you made for your e-mails. I love you!

Quotes

 

A look inside my mind | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates